Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's been awhile...

It has been forever since my last post, so this might be a long one. A lot has happened with us over the past few weeks. Some of it may not be extremely interesting, but bear with me as I feel it is important to document these things.


The weekend of October 10th we had the opportunity to go home to Lovell for my nephew Ross's baptism. It's crazy to me that he is even old enough to be baptized. He called Steven a few weeks earlier and asked him to baptize him, which I thought was pretty cool. Ross and Steven have been buddies since we dated in high school and Ross was just a baby. Steven was really excited to do this for him, and honored that Ross asked him.

Ross before the baptism
Ross and Steven

The baptism went very well and, for me at least, the spirit was very strong. I had the opportunity to participate in the baptism by leading the music, as well as singing a song with my little brother Braden. During the closing song, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives", I looked down at Ross all decked out in his new suit with his hymn book open and singing at the top of his little lungs and my eyes filled with tears. I love every one of my nephews and my niece, but Ross has and always will have a special place in my heart. He was born during a hard time between my sister and I, and he helped repair our relationship and bring us even closer as sisters. Kyle also worked a lot when Ross was little and I had the opportunity to babysit him all throughout high school. I am so proud of him and his decision to be baptized. I know that Ross knows the church is true and that baptism is the first step in Heavenly Father's plan.


Here's more pictures of our weekend at home:



http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/destinyhultgren/?albumview=slideshow





The Friday after we got home (October 17th) my mom called to let me know that my Grandma Morrison was moved from the nursing home to the Lovell Hospital and things weren't looking good. She told me she would keep me updated, and when she called me the next Monday there hadn't been much change. I felt like I should go home and help out where I could, as well as see my grandma while I had the chance. I was able to go home Tuesday afternoon. When I went to see my grandma on Wednesday, I was shocked at what I saw. The little body in the bed looked nothing like the woman I had grown up with, and it was then that I knew it wouldn't be much longer. I was able to sit with her and hold her hand for a little while. There was a special spirit that could be felt in that hospital room. At around 4 PM Wednesday October 22, 2008 my sweet grandmother, Louisa Mickelson Morrison, passed away at the age of 93.

I have so many memories of Grandma that I don't even know where to start. We spent a lot of time at her house growing up and loved every minute of it. I remember sitting on the green couch cuddled up with her reading books. She actually taught me how to read. I remember going out to the backyard to pick strawberries and going for nature walks with her while at the cabin.

Grandma was such a girly girl. She always had her hair and nails done, and was always rocking the red lipstick. My sister was able to do her hair and make up for the viewing, and she did an amazing job that Grandma would have been proud of. When Steven and I were home in August, Kyle and I had the chance to spend an afternoon with Grandma at the nursing home. Kyle permed and did her hair and makeup while I did her nails. She was so happy and loved being pampered. I will always hold that day with Grandma close to my heart.

Kyle, Grandma, and I

My beautiful grandmother

I'm so grateful for the chance I had to spend a few minutes with my Grandma Morrison before she passed away. She was an amazing woman that was loved by many. Her funeral was held Saturday October 25, 2008. It was a warm and beautiful fall day, and the spirit was once again very strong at the services. I'm thankful for the knowledge we have of the Plan of Salvation and that we will be able to see Grandma again someday. I know she had been waiting for almost 13 years to see my Grandpa Morrison again. I'm sure it was an amazing reunion for them and the rest of her family who were waiting to greet her on the other side. I love you Grandma!

2 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Destiny,
I am so sorry about your grandma. I too have wonderful memories of Grandma Morrison. My mom didn't even tell me she had passed. She never tells me anything;) I wish grandparents lasted forever.
Congratulations to Ross. He is such a cutie. It was great looking at all the pictures and seeing my second family. All the cute kids I used to babysit are all grown up. What handsome boys and beautiful girls. I feel so old!!!!

Bob & Dani said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm glad that you were able to spend some time with her before she passed away. It's sad when grandparents die, but we're lucky to have the blessings and knowledge of the gospel to give us hope. I can't believe that Ross is 8 - CRAZY! How cool that Steven was able to baptize Ross. Take care!